Friday, June 29, 2012

Ann Arbor Legend Michael "Cub" Koda (October 1, 1948 – June 30, 2000)

Michael "Cub" Koda



(October 1, 1948 – June 30, 2000)

Cub Koda worked as a solo artist releasing two singles, "I Got My Mojo Workin'" and "Ramblin' On My Mind", and working with a couple of bands, before forming Brownsville Station in 1969…



I met T. J. Cronley, the drummer for Brownsville Station, at Mr. Flood’s Party in 1969…


 I was 20 years old at the time, and, even though I was underage, I was checkin’ ID’s at the bar. I was also doin’ a DJ gig there when I wasn’t “at the door” (Ned Duke R.I.P. owner of Flood’s was a very cool dude)

TJ and I really hit it off and  he hipped me to his band (Brownsville Station)

 I started spinning their early demos at Floods…

Brownsville Station  began performing throughout the American Midwest, and released several singles before getting noticed. They released their first album in 1970, but it was the 1973 single, "Smokin' In The Boys Room", that remains their best-known song…


The song, “SMOKIN’ IN THE BOYS ROOM,” went to #3 on the music charts and eventually sold over two million copies. Although the song was the band's only hit, They continued to perform together until they disbanded in 1979...

BUT,  it was in 1978 when I really got hooked up with these guys—After doing lights for them (I knew NOTHING about doin’ lights!) at a gig at a theater in Jackson, Michigan…The tune they were promoting at the time was The Martian Boogie…


Well, although it was a GREAT tune, The Brownsville Station got very little national attention for it!

Cubby did his own thing for awhile after that, including this GREAT assault on the establishment…


Cubby, you went away WAY too soon,


 Rest In Peace My Brother…






THE USE OF ANY COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL IS USED UNDER THE GUIDELINES OF "FAIR USE" IN TITLE 17 & 107 OF THE UNITED STATES CODE. SUCH MATERIAL REMAINS THE COPYRIGHT OF THE ORIGINAL HOLDER AND IS USED HERE FOR THE PURPOSES OF EDUCATION, COMPARISON, AND CRITICISM ONLY. NO INFRINGEMENT OF COPYRIGHT IS INTENDED 

No comments: