Friday, July 27, 2012

July 27, 1976: Tina Turner files for divorce from her husband Ike, ending their violent 16-year marriage and successful musical partnership…




The violent marriage of Ike and Tina came to an end when Tina left Ike in July 1976. Their divorce became final on March 29, 1978…









Ike & Tina in 1975:


 Tina about deciding to not take any money from Ike in their divorce: "It's not about leaving with money. You leave with knowledge. Inner strength. All the discipline I have to have now came from being with that man ... I knew what I was doing, and I knew why, and I got out. You don't step out and do what I did with my life if you don't have some control there."
Source: Gerri Hirshey, "Woman Warrior at 53, the Amazing Tina Turner Just Keeps on Rollin'," Gentleman's Quarterly, 6/1993 as noted in Tina Turner: Break Every Rule by Mark Bego, page 147…



Ike about being abusive: "All the fights Tina and I had were about her being sad about something. I get real emotional if you're worrying and don't tell me what it is. Then I can't think about nothing else. So I'd slap her or something like that ... If I owe anybody an apology, that would be Tina. I put her through hell with other women. I regret it today, but I can't undo it."
Source: Tim Nudd, "Ike Turner Dead at 76", People.com, 12/12/2007…


 Robert Fontenot about Tina's comeback: "[Tina] overcame bankruptcy and a violent marriage to orchestrate the most amazing comeback in the history of rock."
Source: "Profile -- Tina Turner", Oldies.about.com



Ike Turner: December 12, 2007 in San Marcos, California:

 Ike died at 76 in his sleep at his home. A report from the San Diego County Medical Examiner's office stated that Ike died from a cocaine overdose.
A memorial service was held on December 21, 2007 at the Greater Bethany Community Church City of Refuge in Gardena, California…

       On September 12, 2012, BGO Records will release Tina’s “new” CD "Live At Carnegie Hall–What You Hear Is What You Get” from 1971…


YOU GO GIRL!!!


THE USE OF ANY COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL IS USED UNDER THE GUIDELINES OF "FAIR USE" IN TITLE 17 & 107 OF THE UNITED STATES CODE. SUCH MATERIAL REMAINS THE COPYRIGHT OF THE ORIGINAL HOLDER AND IS USED HERE FOR THE PURPOSES OF EDUCATION, COMPARISON, AND CRITICISM ONLY. NO INFRINGEMENT OF COPYRIGHT IS INTENDED 

No comments: